Monday, December 30, 2013

Simple Leather Holster for a Revolver

One day I wathed a punsh of leather holster vidoes on YouTube, so I wanted to do my own version of a simple DIY holster. I did it same way as I would do traditional shield for "puukko", only wet leather rapped around the gun/knife and one long and tight stich.


Once you have figured out what kind of holster you want, start tracing your gun on paper and transfer it to leather. Its better to leave extra leather every direction to make stiching more easyer. Final cutting will be done after stiching and couple hours of drying
Gun traced to leather
Before moistening the leather with water you have to prepear you gun first. Be able to take the gun off the holster I clued a woden stick behind the front sight. Leather also shrinks a lot when drying, to get a suitable fitting between holster and gun I wrap the gun in thin plastig. 


Stiching started of the widest part
 I shoaked the leather in water for a while. Moisted leather tranforms to streatshing material and its now easy to stich and shape. Stiching I use waxed thead, two needles and a punsh. First I punch a hole in both leathers, then pull both needles trought the same hole a cross each other. In beginning I start first stich in second hole, then come back the first hole and after that continue normally. In the end come back two stich holes and just cut the thread.


Stiching finished
After couple hours of drying it's time for finishing. Cut the final shape of the holster, push the final gun forms in leather and make decorations or initials to the leather. Half dry leather adapts figures easily.
Leather cutted and guns figure pressed to the leather
Holser become nice looking and tight. You cant cock the hammer becouse sylinder wont rotate, but still gun is easy to take off wrom the holster. There is also a snapper behind hammer to keep gun firmly in place.

Leather oiled
After all, totall cost of my new holster was 15€ and about 4 hours of work. But if I do it again, it would be half that time.

No comments:

Post a Comment