Wednesday, January 14, 2015

How to make a "puukko"

My father made me a nice christmas preset, DIY "Puukko" set. It had a my fathers handmade blade, handle, two brass somethings( I dont know what they are called in english), leather and wood for shealt.




The blade is forged of high garbon steel wich is mixed with crome and vanadium. In Finland its called "hopeateräs" (silversteel) becouse of its bright color. It is corrosive steel material but with right hardening and tempature treatment you get blade with extreame sharpness and toughness.



Assembleng a scandinavian style puukko is quite simple you just burn a hole with your blade trough your wooden handle. Then put some glue your brass things(still I dont know what they are called) and your wooden handle and hammer them together.


Now all you need is little sanding and some Danish Oil to have new nice puukko.


To make a new shealt you need leather, two needles and waxed thread. I have posted an article of making revolver holster, princible is same, wet leather is mold to the shape you want. Blade is protected by wooden cover wich allso gives the shealt its looks when you mold your leather. I did a tratitional "tommy" style shealt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment