Thursday, January 28, 2016

Winter practice and trying to kill a bad habit

Pistol shooting in winter conditions  is not the most pleasant way to start practice for out coming competitions, but I don't have a choice. Fortunately the cold dropped from -30 to - 6 so I have some chance to practice whiteout frostbites. Simple and short pistol exercises at this time. One shot at pepper popper target in option 1. Winter clothing is trouble factor enough at least when you have some time from last practical shooting.

With thick jacket I was available to hit pepper popper at 20m in 1,5 seconds.



Second thing what I was training was "recoil fear". Especially shooting with one hand(for some reason mostly dominate hand) I make a twitch at 7 a clock with right hand and 5 a clock with left hand. This is only shown at shooting range when handling live rounds. I think this is a some kind of reflex with knowledge because I don't notice this when I practice with dummy rounds.

I read that only way to get rid of it is to make my self aware of it. To do so first I load in 3 magazines a dummy round, then I load hot rounds a random number for each magazine. After that I mix the mag's so when I start to shoot I don't know when I do dry fire. I was surprised how big my anticipation for normal 9mm pistol were. This is what I need to practice more often, after few surprise dry fire I was available to take down small plates in 25m so easily!

  

No comments:

Post a Comment